Skip to main content

Reply to "a couple of swing clips to enjoy"

toti-

really nice Job!

One reason I dislike the top hand release cue is you end up throwing the bat at the catcher a lot.With a good swing,you can keep both hands on and not lose anything.(Not that you use that cue,necessarily).

I would say you can get slightly more coil/uncoil by trying a few things.

The clip is a little blurry,but it looks to me like the top hand comes away from the shoulder slightly early.This will not happen if you keep the back scap loading as you drop and tilt.See if this accentuates the feel of coil/uncoil/reversal.

Also looks like you are alittle upright/could bend more at waist when yousit to hit.This is a high pitch and maybe you anticipated that or recognized it earlybut in general you want to start out with enough bend to get the low one because it's easier to come up if its higher than get down more later.The added flex in the waist can also transfer momentum better when you commit the backside and go "up" which you do well.

One more generic comment.Donny mentioned hip cok/uncok.Tis is a complex andpoorly described area for the most part.You do it well,so I would be interested in your perception of what you do.My thinking is as follows.

You cok the hip early with the inward turn.Bat tilts up a little,front knee turns in,hip inches/bends/flexes at waist/front hip elevates.As the swing proceeds,the hip turns back slightly with the scap load then "counterrotation" starts and the hip rotates open some by front toe touch lead by the front leg turning open(externally rotating)but hands are stil back and hip is still coked insense of elevated front hip and pinch in waist(front leg didn't reach out along with loss of pinch/elevation-good!).

Now when you "drop and tilt" heel drop will trigger/accelerate the rotating/opening of the hips as the elevation of the front hip drops.You don't want the hips stopping your coil and pulling you off the ball,so you resist the torso opening by keeping the back scap loaded and tilting the shoulders so you feel the front side "firmup"/stretch up to the front shoulder/feel of last quick bit of coil(xfactor stretch),then you are ready to Pull with the bottom handas in Gwynn's description of Bonds swing.This pull then triggers the arch/commiting of the back hip which directs the momentum you are transferring as you uncoil "UP".If you get/retain a little more flex/cok in the hip,you may get more energy turning the bat when you pull/commit the back hip.Let me know if any of this feels right.