Skip to main content

Reply to "A Dilemma"

As a kid you know who your friends are. You know who's kidding with you and who's being vicious. I was never offended being told I lived in Jewville and my dad drove a Jew Canoe (Cadillac). My senior year on high school football I joked I was just included to the world's smallest book (Jews who co-captained their high school football team) when I was made a captain. Friends joked I should be a defensive end rather than a D back since I should be good at getting the quarter back. But when it got anti-Semitic it wasn't hard to tell. It wasn't coming from friends. It ticked me off when coaches used criticizing my religion to anger and motivate me. I looked at them like they were out of their minds. 

We had some real issues in basketball. I'm guessing the coach was on the side of the anti-Semites since he told another Jewish kid and I to deal with the insults. After being kicked on the back and slammed in the head waiting for a rebound in a shoot around I took care of the situation. The next time this kid went to the hoop at the last second I turned arund and cold cocked him. Laid him out. The real issue there was I was getting playing time as a soph over a couple of seniors. 

You move on. But you never forget.

Last edited by RJM