Skip to main content

Reply to "A Dilemma"

Originally Posted by Shelby:
RJM:
..."But when it got anti-Semitic it wasn't hard to tell. It wasn't coming from friends. It ticked me off when coaches used criticizing my religion to anger and motivate me. I looked at them like they were out of their minds.

We had some real issues in basketball. I'm guessing the coach was on the side of the anti-Semites since he told another Jewish kid and I to deal with the insults."

StandBallDad, as RJM pointed out in the above partial quote, in a perfect world your suggestion may be effective. Unfortunately, we do not live in a perfect world...

Understand that the world is not perfect, but continuing to turn a blind eye will not solve these type of situations. I grew up and pitched in college in the early 80's, was called all kinds of racial slurs on the mound. This kind of stuff does not belong in baseball or any other sport. It's gotten better because people are standing up to these things. The other issue is this is also a case of bullying in a school sponserd activity. I know at my sons school there is zero tolerance for this type of behavior.