Skip to main content

Reply to "A Dilemma"

Originally Posted by MyTime:

Not really. All Jews don't have big noses, so it means nothing to me. My family is a weird amalgamation of almost every ethnicity save African, (yes, even Jewish), and no one is safe from criticism. I see so many posts on here of parents fighting their kids battles or having paper-thin skin, that I have to question things sometimes.

This isn't a thread about fighting kids battles or having paper thin skins.   If anything, the kid's skin is too thick, if you ask me.  I think he should  have called out the other player for his racist taunt right then and there, rather than letting it stand, without fear of the consequences for himself or the team.    Nor does it seem  fair to say that the dad in this case is "fighting the kids battle."  The parents are  trying hard  to respect their son's wishes about how this should be handled.  But they also don't want to be complicit in letting stand a climate in which teammates feel free to hurl racial taunts at their son, without any fear of consequences.  I hope you aren't suggesting  that this is just the kid's problem to deal with.  It seems to me that  the adults involved need to be informed and then they need to step  in and step up.  

Last edited by SluggerDad