Skip to main content

Reply to "A letter from...."

No one wants to burst anyone's bubble here, but I think hearing from parents who have been through the process is something to listen to and take advice from.
As far as LSU, I agree with most who have given advice regarding their recruiting. Here is another one. My son never returned any of the questionaires from them. Both coaches saw him play in June and they called on a weekly basis starting on July 1. We set up an official visit, but along with that did our homework and decided that this would not be a good fit for him, some for reasons stated in these posts. My son decided not to waste one of their alloted visits, and they appreciated his honesty. Some can't believe he turned the visit down, it just was not right for my son. We know of two players they took from our county, I doubt whether those players will see any real playing time for awhile, my son wanted to go where he would be an impact player starting in his freshman year. The coaches are some of the finest in the country, the program is excellent, no one can take that away from them. It just didn't sends screams out of our mouths, because you have to be realistic.
Schools send out hundreds of questionaires. It is a preliminary screening, IMHO the word recruited means being pursued after July 1. Be realistic in your expectations, be excited for your son, but don't go overboard. We kept it all low key and mom just filed all of the letters so that someday he could look back on this time and show his kids or grandkids.
What worked for the decision was that my son established a very nice relationship (with the school he ended up signing), early in his Junior year. This was done after he researched his top choices, a very necessary process for you to do. The academic program should be scutinized as well as the baseball program. Those letters are great to get, it does improve the players desire to do better and is most flattering. Reality is the day you get the offer (I have said this before).
You can take all posts for what they are worth, but I think a lot is said here by those of us that have been through it. There are a lot of really good players out there, unfortunetly there are more than top D1 schools have a spot for, so be realistic in where your son stands in his class before you think a letter means you will get a call, visit, offer. Every once in a while you hear of a story of a kid who was unknown and got a great offer. However with more and more coaches relying on the scouting services, this doesn't happen too often.