Skip to main content

Reply to "A moderators work is never done"

quote:
Up until you brought that up, I had no idea that USC was considered that way. Using terminology like that around people, leaves a lasting, unsubstantiated, prejudicial and ugly impression. There is no connotation or context in which that can be taken either humorously or enlightening. Its whole intent is to bash and stereotype.
You guys are all way over the top. I think you need to write a letter to the editor of the LA Times decrying 50,00 UCLA fans waving dollar bills at the USC fans at the USC-UCLA football game. It's a tradition that must be taken down in the name of political correctness.

I lived in California for twenty-two years. Most people in California see it as a joke regardless of which side of the fence they're on. After I graduated from the other school both my roommates were from USC. We only made jokes about it. I can remember one joking he would beat me to death with his wallet, then joke I went to the state school.

Go into any educated neighborhood in southern California. You will find graduates of both schools. The lines aren't socially divided down the middle over a stereotype joke. Most USC graduates I know laughed and reveled in it.

I guess I should be offended when USC grads tell me their cheerleaders are better looking. It's a very sexist statement. It condemns all the UCLA female students, female alumnus and more specifically a set of young women performing on the sidelines.

Maybe I should have been offended attending a state sponsored college when USC had a poster "Poverty Sucks" where the picture was dripping of wealth. Or maybe the people at USC had a sense of humor too.

Geezzzzz!!!!
Last edited by RJM