Skip to main content

Reply to "A pair of California '09 players commit to Pac-10 schools!"

I understand your reasoning. Please understand that I also had a player who was on the radar very early and attended most of the venues that you have posted. I know that things have changed in recruiting. Back in 2003, early commitment was committing July 1 of your senior year. Smile Although asked to commit on several occassions in the month of July, it was not until late september when son made up his mind. I am giving my honest opinion that was the best choice for him and could have made a huge mistake if he committed to his dream school.

A player that I know, in our county, broke all records as a sophmore in HS in the state. He was very well known throughout the country. He had more early offers than he knew what to do with, and chose to go to a top 10 program in the country. At the time he turned down the #1 program in the country. But by the time he had stepped foot on campus he had already peaked, there were now players much better than him, he lost his scholarship and transfered two more times after that looking for the right fit. You can't do that anymore. I think he jumped the gun so early he really didn't fit between the time he committed and stepping foot on campus.

Not that this will happen to the players you mentioned, but just an example of many I know where things change.

As far as top prospects committing early, many I know have just recently made commitments. Because of their status, they actually had the luxury of taking their time to make the decision.
Last edited by TPM