Skip to main content

Reply to "A paper on weighted balls, long toss and tj"

D6L posted:

Wow, it's been almost 2 years, since i participated in this post.  My son (now 14) is still throwing and pitching, loves the mound and the pressure that brings with it.  We worked out fall of 2016- and spring of 2017. On Feb-2017, per my earlier post added long toss twice a week, during month of Feb.  At the end of last Oct. 2017 about the same time frame prior to shutting him down for the winter we clocked him, was clocked consistently 66-67 fastball and 56-57 change up.

He grew from 4' 10" and 80 pounds to now 5'6" and 105lbs, in 2 years.

This year we did not implement the long toss, but during the early spring I definitely noticed the ball moving faster, pounding the glove harder and the whizzing of the ball can be heard cutting through the air.

Yesterday, though we have one more game left, he will be shutdown from the mound, we visited our customary Pitching Pro and had him gunned again, now he is cruising 71-72 fastball and 61-62 change up.

One constant I can pull out between the 2 season is that he has pitched 50-60 innings each year.  During 13-14 winter/early spring season we hardly did any core exercises or throwing unlike during 12-13

Sadly, one of his ex-teammates, who used weighted balls for his workout program had to be shutdown all of this year, to be perfectly honest, I was slight (father) jealous in the beginning that his teammate threw a tad harder, knowing they were using the weighted balls, but I am really really glad we did not implement weighted ball in our sons throwing program.

I don't know what it is, but he seems to have that certain moxy when he gets on the mound, he controls the situation and not the situation control him.  When he doesn't start, he is brought in to stop the bleeding, get the starter out of a jam, bases loaded and game on the line situations.

Thanks...

If he has the hyperflexibilty of a high velocity thrower, with todays technology he will be able to learn mechanics that will enable him to increase his velocity beyond what his joints can handle. Don't let him throw hard (85+?) until you get a doctor to confirm that he is full grown and he has spent a couple years weight training to strengthen his connective tissue and stabilizing muscles. It is one of the worst feelings in the world to know that you hurt your son because you and/or him got caught up in the velocity quest before he had matured.

I thought my son was full grown as a senior in high school at 6'2'' 180. He worked on high velo mechanics and got into the low 90's, tore his UCL, and while recovering grew another inch and put on 25 pounds of muscle. According to his doctors he will be filling out for at least another couple years. Kids mature at different rates, know yours. You already have a start by tracking his growth changes.