Skip to main content

Reply to "A paper on weighted balls, long toss and tj"

22and25 posted:
roothog66 posted:
22and25 posted:

Reinold has a limited study out, I read if for the first time some months ago.  The data certainly gave me pause about doing any weighted ball program with either of my boys.

https://mikereinold.com/weight...n-baseball-pitchers/

Yeah...the term "limited" doesn't begin to do the flaws in this study justice. He had them run and gun with TWO POUND balls. That's a ridiculous program that no one would use outside of this ridiculous case study. In fact, the use of such weights in this manner all but guaranteed injury and was, in my opinion, negligent.

That does seem extreme to say the least.  What is the max ball weight for run and gun throws in a typical program?

As to the rest of the findings, do you think the 2lb ball throws invalidates the inferences made as to the mechanism of velo gains with such a program?

No questioning your assertions, just genuinely trying to learn as I have no prior exposure to the programs that are out there other than some of the social media cat fights that seem to crop up around the subject.

For that, and other reasons, I think it does. There was no documentation of what other work was done outside of the wb program and no standard description of warm ups in the program. Just as important to me, they were thrown into a full blown program with no "ramp up" period. I'm sure there are a few out there who implement such ridiculous programs, but none that carry any legitimacy. As to weight...most of the ones I have dealt with max out with 8 ozs top. I, and others will actually have pitchers throw 9 or 11 oz wb's but not at full force in a RNG situation and some drills will use up to 2lb and 4 lb plyo balls in limited arm action drills but not actually "thrown" and certainly not in a RNG. WB programs are only a piece of an overall pitching program.