Skip to main content

Reply to "A paper on weighted balls, long toss and tj"

@D6L posted:

This has been a great journey/journal since we started posting here on this site.  Something I can look back on and reminiscence the past.  Son still 6'1" and little less than 150lbs on a good eating day, very very athletic, at 5'10 he could dunk a basketball, just came back from 18U WWBA World Championships in Jupiter FL.   I was really humbled with all the tremendous talent gathered in one area, and it's an experience our son will enjoy and remember for rest of his life.  One thing my son said to me "i belong here" still rings.

End of August there were rumors from D3 college scouts that he touched 88, in the fall there were no rumors, our son was consistently hitting 87-88 and now touching 89 on many occasions.  We are hopeful after good winter workout we can pass 90.  His increase in velo has passed my expectations for his year.

We have never used weighted balls for this journey, if there was a week of lull, we would use long toss to maintain strength and the long toss was completely on his own discretion, continuously preaching, listen to his arm.

We have a lot of d3 schools calling, but his goal has been to go to d1, we have given him information of d3 vs d1 and he understands, he has been a late bloomer.

He has to really think hard about the D1 v D3 logic, particularly in this current era.  I've posted this a few times in the past year, but a very clear impact from Covid was essentially the reverberation down the food chain for talent.  Since so many kids took 5th years, incoming 20/21 Freshman who wanted a better chance at playing time before their Junior years opted to drop down a level or two to Juco, D2 and D3.  Thus the pool for D3 is not the same as it was a few years ago.  It's gotten FAR more competitive.  I'd take that into consideration, because while the allure of big time D1 baseball is tough to ignore, the reality is *actually* playing is pretty appealing when you've made the full time commitment to college baseball.  Go where you're loved, where you love, and where you can play.  Don't get overly caught up in labels.