Skip to main content

Reply to "A paper on weighted balls, long toss and tj"

@Wechson posted:

He has to really think hard about the D1 v D3 logic, particularly in this current era.  I've posted this a few times in the past year, but a very clear impact from Covid was essentially the reverberation down the food chain for talent.  Since so many kids took 5th years, incoming 20/21 Freshman who wanted a better chance at playing time before their Junior years opted to drop down a level or two to Juco, D2 and D3.  Thus the pool for D3 is not the same as it was a few years ago.  It's gotten FAR more competitive.  I'd take that into consideration, because while the allure of big time D1 baseball is tough to ignore, the reality is *actually* playing is pretty appealing when you've made the full time commitment to college baseball.  Go where you're loved, where you love, and where you can play.  Don't get overly caught up in labels.

Just to add my tiny $.02 to this comment - I am by far NO recruiting expert, but my 2024 is beginning this whole crazy process!  He is a RHP and is highly projectable (per his coaches), but he still has a lot of room for growth and development. As he says, "I'm still a rough project that needs several drafts before the final paper gets turned in." Off track - sorry -  He is being looked at by schools of ALL levels.  He of course was all starry eyed at the very beginning and wanted only to entertain the top D1 school idea, but, from the knowledge I have learned here on this board, I've been able to open his eyes to the "Go where you are loved, where you love and where you can play" mentality.

For weeks now I've showed him roster after roster of many, many schools on his list that are filled with JUCO kids and transfer kids from high level D1 schools.  There are by far more JUCO transfers, other "high level" school transfers and sophomores, juniors and seniors on these rosters then freshman.  He finally understands how recruiting has changed, especially, post Covid.

So, it is VERY important for kids to grasp this and more so, embrace this thought process. I'm seeing it with my own two eyes right now!