Skip to main content

Reply to "A Parental Questionnaire:"

1. Age you had an inkling he might have a knack for baseball?: 7 when he tried out for over 4 hours straight in the freezing cold for the local travel team (first for his age group and then the group older than him that he played with for almost 7 years). He asked the commissioner if he could try out for the second team. As shy as he is, that said something. We are from the Mid Atlantic though and so the rest of the baseball world didn't see what we saw until his Jr. Year in HS.
  2. Last time you or your spouse coached them on the field? We never coached him on the diamond. Husband was his basketball until HS. Kid has always loved BP with Dad though. Preferably on an open field but we go through too many balls that way. 🤭
  3. As a parent, what has been your favorite level to watch your son play? I've loved all of them. Up until Jr. Year in HS, during the summer, I was baseball Mom because my husband was with the girls on their basketball journey (younger daughter played up with her older sister until her junior year when she switched to a national AAU team). As much as I loved the Cooperstown years, I have such wonderful memories of the drives all over kingdom come in middle school and early HS. I also love now.
  4. Do you / did you talk too much baseball to friends and family? Probably. 😂 but honestly with my immediate family and non-baseball friend we are pretty chill about it and don't talk about it all the time. We all (including the girls) have our own lives. HSBBW is a great place to go when I need to talk about it.
  5. Regrets? We went through some serious issues at his first HS but I firmly believe that everything that happened has made him who he is so we can't regret it even though we still can't quite believe what happened.

Great, thought-provoking topic. Thank you!