Skip to main content

Reply to "A question about summer collegiate teams"

The kid has came home for all star break and I got a chance to talk to him face to face. He said one of the other outfielders confronted the coach about playing time and was told he had promised the coaches of the two kids they would receive the majority of the playing time. So some of you that offered advice were right. I guess welcome to the big leagues and so on. And I guess the kids coaches didn't take care of their own.

That said it really doesn't sit well with me. I was a manager for 30+ years and no matter what else anyone might say about me they always knew where they stood. I never mislead anyone about their standing on the crew or with me. To send an email stating how important my sons development was to them and how seriously they took the responsibility, all the time knowing they were going to screw the kid.... I guess I would have made a poor baseball coach.

Ten months ago I'm sitting at my kids HS game talking to a scout that's watched him closely the last four years and telling him the kid wouldn't accept low round slot money. That the wife and I thought college was the best path for him. And now here I sit watching the kid sit the bench because some mook azz coach made promises to some other coaches that at the end of the day could care less it the guy lived or died. Between the kid being forced into a PO because of injuries at college and now this mess the wife and I have done a lot of soul searching.