Skip to main content

Reply to "A question about the pitcher position"

I think it is a huge part of the game in recruiting.  It amazes me how many qualifiers go into the pitching recruiting process.  Yet, the one I think is most important is the pitchability.  Ability to throw multiple pitches in multiple situations to get outs.  I have seen so many guys, even several in the pros now that have a crazy walk count but still stay.  One, when he was in high school, had 18 K's and 17 walks in the same playoff game.  

In the recruiting process, it is all about the velocity and not accuracy because every pitching coach thinks they can teach a kid to throw strikes.  The problem with most is they have to lose that velocity to get it across the plate.  PG and every other similar service rates kids on velocity not pitchability.  They will ALWAYS rate the kid higher who has the velocity and no control over the kid with lower velocity but crazy strikeout and eras.  it is just part of the game.  I saw this weekend a kid get honored for his great pitching because he had the velocity but had 5 walks in 1 1/3 innings and had to be pulled in a showcase because he could not throw strikes.   To throw strikes he had to take 5 mph off his fastball which made him average.  Yet, he was honored over the kid who had 5 k's in 2 innings. 

I do understand in most cases that the kid with 5 K's will probably be playing this game longer with more success if all  things continue equal.  But it is frustrating to watch.  I also know the one thing they say you can't teach is speed whether from the arm or from the legs.