Skip to main content

Reply to "A Recruiting Story"

Adbono,

Two schools (a JUCO and a Big12) is a very small pool of potential offering schools especially for the baseball talent that he possesses.  Based on what you've shared (from the recruit's view) I think he sold himself way short.  Again, from the outside looking in it appears he didn't do his due diligence especially with his "minor learning disability".   I hope his parents were there to guide him in his decision and they accounted for his disability in their recruiting recommendation to his son. 

Everybody has a different story, background and requirements but in the end the recruit (and parents) is going to own the decision.  I realize it is extremely intoxicating to have that level of talent, and difficult for a 15, 16,17 year old kid to make the right choice.   A lot of us have never been in this position with elite talent.   

Sometimes, I think it is much more difficult on elite recruits as they don't have the luxury of more time and more experience in the recruiting process than someone who has D1 mid-major talent who has the benefit of being passed over by the D1 P5s or other D1 mid-majors.  My oldest son was approached and recruited by an SEC after one of their recruits had serious legal issues a year after the recruit had committed.   My son was in the middle of weeding through D1 mid-major schools at the time.    The SEC school was offering academic money, and admissions into the schools honor college.   My son saw this for exactly what it was (a sales tactic) as he had the "benefit" of a year of recruiting experience and rejection from a handful of schools.   In my way of thinking, rejection was a great learning experience for my son in this case.

Just my experience.......