Skip to main content

Reply to "A Recruiting Story"

@baseballhs posted:

I’ll add that sometimes I think more than a 25% scholarship puts a target on your back. We know a kid who was getting draft attention, ask for more money and got it and then arrived in a huge slump.  He was in his head and could not hit. He did not make it past Christmas because they wanted that money back. There has always been a lack of patience and little development with some schools. Now they are being pretty transparent and just telling kids, this grad transfer (or portal transfer) has a resume…you don’t. They will get a longer leash and more opportunities.  No way to build a resume without opportunity so it’s a hamster wheel.  Even knowing a bunch of guys are going to graduate no longer means anything because a grad student can come in .  Tough climate.

Excellent post!  This is what so many people don’t realize has changed b/c of NCAA rulings regarding Covid. There is no longer ANY development at most competitive D1 programs. Not only do D1 coaching staffs not want to spend their time developing young players, now they don’t have to. Much easier to comb the transfer portal and recruit Juco guys. Both already have experience. I can’t blame 4 year schools for taking advantage of this. But I do blame them for continuing to recruit HS grads that they don’t need and have no intention of developing. The entire situation is caveat emptor like never before.