Skip to main content

Reply to "A Recruiting Story"

It’s extremely difficult to be an impact player at the college level as a freshman, regardless of the coaching. My son was not an impact freshman at the Juco level.

IMO the combination of relationships with the coaching staff, ability, execution, perceived ceiling, work ethic, timing and luck all play into every players’ college opportunity. I’ve seen players at the Juco level that didn’t get opportunity, change school, and thrive. I watched a physically dominant freshman get no playing time at a P5 school, transfer to a Juco and get drafted in the 1st round.

Some coaches add a lot of value to some players and none to others. I know my son values what he learned from working his pitching coach at the D1 level.

I’m a I’ll put gas in the car, you need to drive parent and my son has owned his development choices since HS. I’d have liked him to play college summer ball, but he always chose to train. He felt he needed to supplement his college coaching in the offseason to be his best (now it’s his job, and he still trains the entire offseason).  

Last edited by JucoDad