Skip to main content

Reply to "A Recruiting Story"

@adbono posted:

@fenwaysouth, people used to wear suits to work everyday too. A lot has changed in college baseball since your son played. College baseball is now big business. It didn’t used to be. Due to Covid there are now athletes playing 6 years of college baseball. That’s never been the case before. There is an over supply of players like never before too. Add the impact of the transfer portal and NIL and you have chaos. Many top programs (especially D1s) don’t want to spend 2 years developing a freshman that may or may not work out when, for the same scholarship dollars, they can get 2 proven players out of the transfer portal. It’s both less risk and a better ROI. It’s a business decision. It’s also easier and you get your return sooner. It’s an easier, more efficient business model. In theory and for right now. But a lot of schools have adopted it. I know this because, not only do I see it happening with my own eyes, more than a few D1 coaches have told me that this is what they are doing. Comparing development in the workplace to development in college baseball is a reach at best. You are talking about adults vs 18 yr old kids. But you wouldn’t see college players signing up for Tread Athletics at $500/mo if they were being developed at their schools. I’m glad that your son had a good experience. It’s the kid that everyone hopes for. But right now that experience only exists for a fraction of college players. And what makes up that fraction are the players that have position coaches that actively teach the game. Even then those position coaches may only be helping the players that are on the field contributing. There would not be so many posters that currently have sons playing college baseball talking about the lack of development if it wasn’t a real issue. They problem with this issue, as with many others, is that if your player didn’t experience it then it’s sometimes hard to believe. But there is a reason that so many Drivelines, Treads, etc have popped up over the last 10 years. And the reason is that there is a huge appetite for development that isn’t being satisfied in college baseball. Right now is a great time to be one of the very best players in college baseball. It’s a terrible time to be anything less than that.

Nailed it - 1 billion % !