Skip to main content

Reply to "A Recruiting Story"

Kid just hit 90 at 16, and all the wolves started showing up...  Parent is eating it up though. I just wish they could see the big picture, not just because he could be a monster at 22/23 yrs old if he is given time to develop/mature, but because he is actually a warm-hearted person that is always a joy to be around. These "wolves" that just started to circle could care less about "Johnny" the person.

This brings me to a second question...  Is it harder to be a 18 year old RHP in today's collegiate environment (at top P5 level) vs being brought up through a minor league farm system???

No doubt 90mph at 16yo is a milestone.  Wolves (scouts) will show up because it is there job to leave no stone unturned with that milestone....or so I've been told by a cross-checker.   The interest is there, but is it serious interest?  Probably not just yet as he has to meet other criteria depending on the competitive level.   We figured out that a handful of D1 P5 schools crossed my son off their list as he was "only" 6'1" at 16yo.   They had their RHP algorithm, and my son didn't fit it, so they moved on.  In hindsight, they were probably right to move on as my son only grew another inch after 16, and had other academic goals in mind beyond baseball.

But you are exactly right.  The recruit, and parents need to see the big picture, unfortunately they don't know who to reach out to for honest, straight talk advice.   This place comes pretty close to being the best place for honest feedback and experiences.  I recall having offline discussions with a former poster here....TRHit.  I owe that guy big even though he passed away...he gave it to me with "both barrels" and his advice was spot on.  I still think about him, and maybe one of the reasons I still check in here every so often.  @ReluctantO'sFan maybe you could help Johnny and his family by pointing them in the direction of HSBBWeb?  Just a thought....

As for your last question, I think the pressures, opportunities, and development time lines are very different between D1 P5 and minor league professional pitching.  The physicality and maturity needed to be an 18 year old professional  baseball player is enormous.   My (former) neighbor played at a D1 P5 and then played in MLB.   He would tell us stories about how the young professional players (many not from the US) would goof off and waste their time not doing the things they needed to be doing as professionals.   Based on those stories, I think it takes more self-discipline to be an 18yo professional than a D1 P5 player.   College coaches teach self-discipline and their "requests" and "suggestions" get done or else.....

As always JMO.