Skip to main content

Reply to "A SAD THOUGHT"

Scott Boras is the most talked about agency in baseball. There are many different opinions regarding what he has done for baseball and for his clients. But one should always keep in mind he works for his clients and is not employed by MLB clubs.

Without arguing the many high profile Boras situations of the past (most which worked out very well for all players, his clients and others) there is one simple thing that makes me respect his group and that is HONESTY! Boras’ group is honest! And one major reason they are so honest is because they can afford to be honest! They don’t need a player to sign for less than he is worth in order to make a quick buck and stay in business.

If they advise someone to go to school, it’s because they truly believe it’s in that player’s best interest. Going to college rather than signing a pro contract is not music to every advisors ears. In fact, there are advisors who have no interest in a player unless he wants to get drafted and sign a pro contract. In other words, they want that % of the signing bonus, now rather than 3 years from now when the player might have switched advisors, no matter what is in the player’s best interest.

True example – A High School catcher was drafted and advised to sign for four hundred thousand. If player signed the agent would receive $16,000. Catchers dad said no and catcher went off to college. 3 years later and closer to college degree, the same player with “new” advisor is drafted early in the first round and signs for around $3.5 million. First agent lost out on $16,000. 2nd agent made over $100,000. Player made $3 million more and got 3 years education under his belt. Wise Dad deserves credit!

Some MLB clubs hate to see a prospect become a Boras client. This can cost Boras players a higher draft slot at times. It’s not because they dislike Boras, but because they know he is tough to beat. They would much rather have the same prospect working with the advisor/agent who will get his player signed quickly for the least possible money. That’s business!!!! In these cases it sometimes appears the agent is working for the club more than the player.

The very best advisors/agents would rather have their player not sign and go to college rather than get a quick pay day at the expense of the player. There are several very good honest people in that business. There are even more who play the numbers game… get as many players as you can possibly get, try to hold on to them, and wait to watch the draft… After the draft they can set down and count the money! The best ones don’t operate that way. Scott Boras’ group does not operate that way. Like them or not!

Don’t know if that is the worst thing (honesty) that has ever happened to baseball! It just depends on which side one is pulling for… the MLB baseball clubs or the players. It would be a conflict of interest working for both sides. It’s down right dishonest when an agent favors the clubs side!

Now I know there are many good reasons to sign and start your pro career. There’s also good reasons for some to first go to school. That is not what is being discussed here.

I do wish powerful people like Scott Boras and other top agencies would try to do more to help all minor league players. Maybe that will happen some day.

I really like Bernie... Sure hope people understand just how much Boras has done for him. I bet Bernie understands!