Skip to main content

Reply to "A&M"

As an Aggie, I was absolutely incensed. There were a couple of years recently where everyone picked A&M down around seventh in the Big 12. But Johnson took them into the NCAA tourney. One year they finished only a half game behind Nebraska. The next year they made it to the super regionals. And that was after losing six pitchers and another key player to the draft. Then this year the team loses a lot of close games, peforms less than expected and the ax falls.

I cannot stand "Dollar Bill" Byrne. He did not handle this with class. I think his ego requires that he "fire" someone, rather than letting them leave with dignity. He should apply his standards to himself. But then we would get a new AD.

There will always be those former students who think nothing less than a national championship is acceptable. But only one team can be the champ each year. The odds are against any coach.

Coach Johnson was a class act. He ran a great program with integrity. He is leaving a great legacy. One that will not be matched as easily as Dollar Bill thinks.
Last edited by Texan