Skip to main content

Reply to "A&M"

Moral to the story...

Winning is the only thing that matters.

So don't question a coach when your son ain't playing. Right? He is just trying to win.

And if the coach is crazy but wins, who cares right? Didn't we talk about an example of this this spring?

In the real world, yes you are correct Keller dude...your future is measured by success. What some are trying to point out here is that college athletics should be more than just national championships. Developing respected men/student athletes should be held at a higher standard. Unfortunately that is not the case in major college sports. Where does it stop, well I think it involves the "trickle down" theory. Years ago, head coaches at all levels were respected as leaders along with their win column. Now the win column is the only thing that seems to matter. So, it has "trickled down" into high school athletics and even lower levels. Here lies the problem.

Developement takes a back seat to instant success. So at the end, if a child/young man/player doesn't have success, he or she has nothing to show for what they could have gained from playing athletics.

So many get caught up in the who's who and who did what. This is only visible in papers, box scores, and athletic statistical honors. Dig a little deeper folks. Should we put our stock for our youth in an "all-district" selection. Personally I don't think so. That is why I choose to try and make a difference in the small way I hope to do.

I never got to meet Mark Johnson but I can tell you this. When my minor league days were done I entertained the thought of coaching in college. I sent several letters to major colleges asking for an opportunity for a grad. assistant job. Mark Johnson from A&M was the only one who responded. I did not know him from Adam. He said that if I played for a honorable man like Pat Malcheski (Northwood Univ. coach) that I could work for him anytime.

This is what amatuer athletics is about to me. Involving yourself with good people opens doors to even better people and opportunities. Developing young people so when those people grow up, they can develop more respectable people.

Or....

We can just go by the win column.