Skip to main content

Reply to "ABD Spring League"

I haven't seen the catcher. I asked the scout I saw who looked like he was from the scouting bureau if he was there to see the catcher and he said he was also there to see the reliever. The Grizzlie's coach was pretty impressed by the catcher though. He said the kid had really good pop times and some pretty good pop in his bat. One of the catchers from ATH is relatively young and this time of year the scouts tend to be focused on the kids who are draft eligible.

My son couldn't get the curve over so he used the change a fair amount as it was working fairly well. He wasn't trying to put anything extra on the ball until the last inning so he was 83-85ish on the Stalker they had set up there with a couple down at 82 when he aimed it a bit. That's pretty normal for him when he's trying to pitch as opposed to throwing to impress. He hadn't pitched for three weeks so it was important that he focus on throwing strikes. He said he tried to throw the last pitch fairly hard but I didn't see the reading on that one as the play on that one ended up being probably the key play in the game to that point. Probably not that hard and the extra effort just resulted in it being up a bit.

I thought the left fielder made his best, or at least most important play on the throw in the bottom of the seventh. I don't think it would have been close at the plate if the throw hadn't been cut, assuming it was on line. I also thought the tag was made before the run scored but it was a bang bang play and you take what you get on those. That was one of those plays where what you think happened depends on the team you are rooting for.

I was a little surprised at the speeds from our pitchers as the starter had thrown around 84-86 and touched 87 or 88 last time I saw him there and I think the kid who threw the 8th can throw quite a deal harder than he did on Sunday also.

If we're out there on Saturday I'll tell you what I see. You'll probably have to get there early enough to see some of that game yourself though.
Last edited by CADad