Skip to main content

Reply to "Absolute worst thing I've heard an umpire say."

I have two from the same guy. 

Last year playing league playoff game.  League rule is that each team gets one balk warning.  Kid on first takes off, pitcher balks.  Now we have played in the league for 4 years and every time there is a balk warning it is a dead ball and the players stay/go back to their original base.  Sometimes it sucks - usually the runner would have stolen the base or the nice line drive double gets called back.  But that's the way it is played in the league.  The umpire decides he is going to change years of precedent and leave the runner at 2B on the balk warning.  Says you shouldn't have the warning rule.  WTF.  Of course, that runner comes in to score at the other team pulls ahead. 

Now the following year, same umpire in a HS game.  I go up to my friend in the stands and said "Oh no, not this guy.  He makes up his own rules.  Watch."  Game is progressing without incident.  And then it happens.  Pop up along 3B line.  Its a very windy day and the ball is blowing all over.  Pitcher and 3B both miss the ball which lands fair and quickly darts into foul territory.  My buddy looks at me, and I at him, and says "foul ball, it didn't touch anybody."  Umpire says it "landed fair."  Kid is safe at first.  I turn to my buddy and with a big smile say "see, I told you."