Skip to main content

Reply to "Abuse of a youth pitcher question"

quote:
- As a parent you need to let your sons coach know that once he reaches 80 pitches he has to come out of the game pitching.

- Also once he reaches his pitch count you also have to let the coach know your son is not allowed to play catcher, 3rd or SS after reaching that pitch count.
There's one more important piece of information I need to learn. What percentage of the take do I charge as my son's agent? (<-- sarcasm). If you walked up to our high school coach and told him how many pitches your son can throw and where he can play, he'd never see the field again. If you approached my son's travel coach he'd remind you the rule is parents stay away from the dugout. Before you say you establish this with the coach before the season, he would establish your son isn't on the roster. Coaches don't want a season of the PITA parent. The correct approach is to have the player approach the coach about his usual pitching limits. Never tell a coach where you can and can't play.

What you need to do as a travel parent is find the right playing environment with knowledgeable coaches. In high school you take what you get. The only decision is to be part of it or not. When the kids are pre high school they are learning how to become high school and high school age travel players. Parents need to learn how to become high school player and high school age travel player parents. There is no age of ball where the parent should be telling the coach what to do. If you want to be in charge, get a head coaching job or start a team.
Last edited by RJM