Skip to main content

Reply to "Abuse of a youth pitcher question"

Thanks for the responses. First let me address RJM.

RJM I was not refering to a high school age player. I thought this was a pre high school thread. You are correct LOL try telling a high school coach how many pitches your son can throw LMAO.

My comments are based on youth pitchers. Ages 9-13 you as a parent need to guard your childs arm.

Now as for that travel ball coach who would not place your son on a roster if you told him how many pitches your SON is allowed to throw. I say run, run, run, run, run AS FAR AWAY as you can from that coach. If his coach is that way then this tells me he has no concern for your childs health and is only concerned about his reputation based on his winning percentage to be aquired at all cost.

Now Daque, here is my response to your questions/statement. My son just turned 10 yrs last week. He plays for a 10u team and an 11u team Usssa. My son does not pitch, I wont allow him yet.

You also are correct. Just because someone coaches high school or college baseball does not make them qualified to coach youth baseball. Dealing with youth players is different from high school and college age kids. However I would say 80% of HS and college coaches would be tremendous youth coaches.

What better type coach to learn from. These type coaches with the HS and college experience know what is being looked for at the next level and will most likely have more extensive knowledge than some dad who decides to coach a team.

Daque I would suggest you read up on the damages curve balls cause to young and old arms. I wont go in to a long statement about all the areas of the body it does damage.

Ask ANY HS, College, Ex MLB pitcher or MLB pitching coach when a kid should start to throw curve balls. Non of these individuals will say at ages 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 or even 16.

Daque, you ask why do we think a HS/college coach is more qualified than a youth ball coach to determine safety issues for the kids.

Most HS/college coaches have a lot more experience with baseball injuries than any youth coach. They have studied kinetics and other related areas of the human body and the effects they have on the body. Most Hs/college coaches have played baseball and been around the game more than most youth coaches.

Now as for my child playing on multiple teams. The age groups he plays in play tournaments opposing weekends. If his 10u team plays this weekend, they dont play next weekend, his 11u team plays.

Now I could spout off a lot of different opinions about playing every weekend but instead of doing that I will just say. My son wants to play, when we have weekends he isnt playing he gets bored ( He would rather play baseball than go to Disney LOL..his words ). My son has never complained of his arm hurting. My son doesnt pitch he plays infield.

On avg he makes about 20 or less throws a game. This is well below what experts suggest. This is part of my duty as a parent to safeguard his health.

If I missed anything I will respond back. Thanks again for responding.