Skip to main content

Reply to "Abuse of a youth pitcher question"

quote:
So RJM lets put this to the test. If I am your 12 yr old sons coach and I make him throw during a tournament 2 games and a 140 pitches per game with his arm hurting are you going to try and tell me I cant throw him that much?

You dont even have to respond because I already know the answer but take your answer and apply it to your comments and MAYBE you will see how stupid your application to my comment was.

If I had a 12 year old and you did something like that and he hurt his arm, you'd likely leave the ballpark on a stretcher and I'd be leaving in handcuffs.

I don't like "pitch counts" but that is pure craziness and it wouldn't go over well. That's nearly 300 pitches in (I would assume) a short time and it doesn't even count how many pitches he threw to warm up before the game or between innings. Even to me, that is excessive.

Now from a coaching standpoint, I'm not going to allow a parent to tell me when their son can and cannot pitch. That is a decision that would be made by me, one of the other coaches, and/or the player. If the player's arm is hurting, he's coming out. If he feeling good, looking good, and is effective then he will stay in the game.