Skip to main content

Reply to "Abuse of a youth pitcher question"

quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
My response was as much of a generalization as yours was. Before I explain how I operated as a coach let's be perfectly clear your son would play for the team on my terms and you would not interfere. You would not play agent. Players play, coaches coach and parents support the team. Part of my responsibility as a coach was to teach parents how to become parents of athletes.

Now that we have the rules clear I'll explain how your son would come to be on my team.

At some point in the summer there would be a casual comment from one of the coaches to you if your son is interested in playing for our team, call at the end of the summer. We never stoled players from teams. We didn't chase players. We made one comment. The rest is up to the parent. The other way was you would see how well run the team is, how fair things are done, how pitchers are not overused, and excpet for the one whiny dad who didn't understane why his son wasn't an infielder, parents would say good things about the team.

When we talked I would have explained how positions are earned, how much playing time every player will get at a minimum, how pitchers will be handled, the backgrounds of the coaching staff and what instruction will be the focus. I would answer your questions and you would make a decision.

If you started telling me how your son would be used, I'd tell you I'll get back to you in the future. You would probably be able to read the declining interest in my body language.

That sounds really nice. I wish it was that way with every coach but you and I both know that isnt the case.

However if I had a child that pitches with the knowledge I have. I would have no problem prior to joining any team telling the coaches my son has certain pitching limits that can not be exceeded.

If that coach agreed to my terms and we all had an understanding then we would join that team. If that coach took the stance that he could pitch MY CHILD as much as he wanted then I would personally say thank you but no thank you.

We as knowledable parents with above avg ballplayers or even below avg ball players have a choice when it comes to what we may deem dangerous to our kids health.

Youth baseball coaches need to understand this. They can do as they wish with their own kids but when dealing with someone elses child its not their decision. They need to respect a parents wishes for what the parent deems good for their child.

I only refer to this because of coaches over abusing youth pitchers. My son who is an elite player doesnt pitch, he plays infield so I dont have these issues with him.

The only issue I have ever had was a coach trying to change his swing. My sons swing didnt fit the norm of this particular coaches understanding of Linearswing mechanics.

My son hits rotational and has way above avg swing mechanics. At 9 yrs old he was hitting and working out off an 85mph pitching machine set at 55 feet with a drop 8 bat. He had played baseball for less than 6 months. The hand speed is god given but as you know it takes more than just god given talent.

However I have seen enough coaches abusing these 10,11 and 12 yr old pitchers in my short time in youth baseball. Kids pitching 4 innings then being put behind the plate catching or after throwing 100 + pitches being placed behind the plate catching right after the last game.

These are the so called coaches I have no respect for. Winning is nice but it doesnt have to come above a childs health if that coach has any clue as to what they are doing. If coaches always considered a childs health before a medal, then parents wouldnt have to get involved.