Skip to main content

Reply to "Academic Question / Recruiting"

Originally posted by KmomNH:
quote:
I'm new to this, folks, so please bear with me while I figure out the whole message board "thing". Learned yesterday that my sophomore RHP failed one of his classes and will be academically ineligible to try-out for baseball. He can bring up his grades and apply for a waiver through the athletic director but the varsity coach already forewarned everyone going out for the team that if they needed a waiver they shouldn't bother showing up.

Hubby and I have decided not to get involved - its our son's responsibility to bring up the grades, apply for the waiver, and deal with the possibility that he will be denied. Its also his responsibility, if he really wants to play college ball, to continue to train and try-out for Legion and/or Sr Babe Ruth teams so that the year isn't completely wasted.

My question is this: do any of you know of players who've lost a high school season and recovered to earn a D1 college slot?

I noticed in some other posts that you have sent your son to BB camps. I see this as supporting him in getting him seen and learning aobut the schools program.

I understand your tough love approach, only your son can turn things around if he really wants to. This might be a good time to sit down with him and find out exactly what his goals are for after HS.

If he desires to play after HS at a D1 school, you need to explain to him that it might not be possible. College coaches are very much concerned if their players can handle school and a rigourous bb program, if they can't in HS then how can they in college?

Talent alone, these days, will not secure you a scholarship to college. A big part of it is personal responsibility, time management and commitment. With rising academic standards from the NCAA, coaches won't offer anything to the student who struggles in HS in class.
Not being able to play on the HS team due to grades, sends a red flag. I know of a really good player in this areas who was denied an offer after the coaches found out he cut class often.

See where he needs help, don't be afraid to also offer him help with his academics.
JMO.
Last edited by Chill