Skip to main content

Reply to "Academic Showcase insights"

Fenway has a lot more experience than I do, but one addendum I'd offer to his post:  Schools definitely tend to pick in order of NCAA divisions, but the most academically selective HA D1s seem to mostly wait until grades are in for a player's Junior year.  Sophomores absolutely can (and IMO should) get on the radar of these schools, but I wouldn't expect an offer until well into Jr year at earliest.  Take a look on the PG web site at commitments for the Ivies, Georgetown, Northwestern--they typically only have one to three 2020 commits listed at this point.  (Some HA D1s do have more--Fenway's advice to decide who you are targeting is spot on.) 

If my son had been throwing 90 mph as a sophomore, then his experience could have been very different (and every player's path seems to be unique in some respects), but when he was at HF the summer after his soph year, he got a few emails and texts from D1s, but they were versions of "we like what we saw, let us know how your Jr year goes."  There is value in that for sure, but I don't think many players get more than that at HF as rising juniors.  (Others posting here may tell you differently... I'm no expert.)