Skip to main content

Reply to "Academically "Dragging kids across the finish line""

Originally Posted by CoachZ:

My question is: is this normal? do you agree or disagree with it, and why or why not?

So what does everyone think? is this practice common? Am i being harsh? has someone been through all of this and has found a nice middle ground? I would love to hear from people more experienced. I'm 26 and am just going into my 2nd season as coach here so I'm all ears. Thanks in advance. 

Hi Coach,

I respectfully disagree with both positions.  One of the most rewarding things about coaching is being in a position where you can be a positive influence on young people.  For the basketball coach, I think it is great that he looks to help his players with their studies but he should make it a point to offer that help at all times, sending the message that academics is priority #1 always - not just when athletic eligibility is at stake.  For yourself, I would embrace the opportunity to try and push those "lazy" kids in the right direction.  Offer any help needed while at the same time being clear about attitude and behavior standards with the team.  Many troubled kids have sports as their only motivator and will respond favorably only in this environment.  With the right "coaching", this can then translate into other parts of their lives. 

Last edited by cabbagedad