Skip to main content

Reply to "Academics and baseball in HS"

This is my first experience with a high schooled aged kid so admittedly I probably am obsessing a bit.  Growing up academics was never stressed, work ethic and being a self starter was more important. My siblings and I all went to ok colleges and are successful humans who have made the most of our strengths and have something to be proud of.

Truthfully I have pushed my son academically for years. It is because most importantly I believe in him. He was a kid that struggled in elementary school with learning issues but he was always bright. We got him support which helped tremendously. We lucked out in our school district  in that way. But he used to tell me he thought he was stupid. It would always break my heart.

In middle school I challenged him to make honor roll and sweetened it with some small incentives here and there lol because I knew he could do it. I knew if he could see he could do it he would start to believe it. He has made honor role 8 out of 10 times so far and currently doing quite well in his pre AP class.

I definitely don't see my son at an Ivy and I don't know enough about HA D3 schools. Although if he does play in college I imagine he would probably end up at a D3 or JUCO level.

So do I continue to push? Or should I back off  at this point? Will prep school give him more opportunities? Who knows?

Or is he old enough to choose? As far as skill level in BB, is he is on the top team in his organization? Not sure. They are all new teams for the year and there is definitely some talent (Majors level regionally) on his team but they have not played together yet.