Skip to main content

Reply to "ACC Tourney Moved to Durham"

I really have no desire to pick on Maryland. In particular I know and respect Coach Farr, and three of their current freshmen are former teammates and friends.

But to rely on a more disinterested source than myself, here are the national rankings, as posted by Perfect Game/PGCrosschecker.com last spring, of the 2008 recruiting classes of the 12 ACC schools:

3. UNC
10. Clemson
11. UVA
16. Wake Forest
17. Miami
18. Florida State
19. N.C. State
30. Ga. Tech
42. Duke
66. Maryland
69. Boston College
71. Va. Tech

UNC is still well stocked, but having lost 6 incoming freshman to the MLB draft, when these rankings are updated soon the Tar Heels will probably not hold onto that # 3 spot. I wouldn't expect them to tumble too much, because if you look at their remaining recruits it's still an impressive bunch, but # 3 would be a tough notch to cling to.

Clemson lost its top recruit to the draft. UVA lost one recruit to the draft and another one will most likely redshirt this year due to shoulder surgery. Wake lost ... nobody. Everyone is in class today.

What this means is, there is a chance that Wake's current freshman class will end up rated as the ACC's best this year. And even if they don't quite corral that honor, it's a tough sell to suggest that this group is on its way to the bottom of the conference standings in coming years. Especially since I understand Wake's 2009 class is coming along quite nicely, too!