Skip to main content

Reply to "Accepting and the Clock"

I agree with a lot of what's been posted, disagree with some.

First. I strongly agree that some of these tournaments have become so out of control.  With summer storms, there should be better planning. I heard that teams got forced out of compensation rounds in Atlanta?  Figure it out, PG had over 500 teams and PBR had how many? That's just crazy. Spend your money wisely. College is expensive.

If you don't like it, think about how coaches feel.  I know that much planning goes into their day.  Yes, this is part of their job, but they make a plan and most plans have been through previous contact with players or travel team coaches with recommendations.  Your player needs a plan as well.  Don't wing it when going to the larger programs.

Also, do coaches go to watch players play better competition, you bet. Why, because most mid D1 programs play upper tier mid week games and a win helps their RPI. If your player doesn't show well against a stronger program he may either not be a consideration or end up on the bench.   Make sure your travel coach alerts teams your son has had contact with.

Most importantly, your player by mid HS, should have a relatively good idea where he falls within the competition. Join a travel team who he will play for, don't join a better one because no one may notice if he doesn't play.

Just some observations.  It may make sense to some, not to others.

Most of all, don't let others shame you into the decisions you make. Make a plan.  A good one, and things will work out, whether it be JUCO, D3, D2, D1.

Your son's academic goals should be most important. 

JMO