Skip to main content

Reply to "Accepting and the Clock"

@DanJ posted:

Ah, yes, the “we’re flying to Fort Myers in February so we can play against the best competition” bit.  I’m not saying that isn’t true for some, but as others have already said, the big tourneys have gotten so watered down that half of your opponents or more could be on par or worse than you can easily see in your own backyard. Have a $2000 check and roster full of rec ball talent? Then PG has a spot for you against the “top” competition!  But wait, there’s more! We’ll maximize how long you stay alive in the tourney by scheduling you 5 pool games over 5 days! You can’t lose!

But I’m cynical and skeptical whenever I hear this. A) if you’re not rolling almost every team locally every time, how great is the need to get on a plane? And B) my money says that 95% of those who tell you the reason they’re getting on a plane is so they can face the top competition, are actually going because they’re hoping some big program will “discover” them and offer because of it. It’s a way to justify the time and money without divulging how great you think you are and that you’re simply hoping someone there will see what you believe.

So we had a a team forfeit at the 17U BCS National Championship tournament and WWBA 17U National Championship this year. Good times...PG needs to fix that.