Skip to main content

Reply to "Achieving Greater Consistency"

JCG posted:

I have never understood looking middle in at 0-0. 2-0 or 3-1 sure. But 0-0 the pitcher is trying to steal a strike to get ahead, and usually that's either with a FB on the outside or a curve in the zone. I'd suggest that your son do tee work or front toss focusing on driving ball oppo every day until he's as comfortable with that as he is with pulling the ball.  And I agree that pulling outside pitches is a great way to ruin your day.

I am TOTALLY with you.   Come over and knock some sense into the kid's head for me, will 'ya?  

(He's a great kid, don't get me wrong.  And he loves to talk hitting  --indeed everything baseball.) 

He justifies his approach by saying he's not looking to get singles 0-0.  He wants a pitch he can hammer.    Consequently, he's wiling to let "hittable"  pitches that are not in his hot zone  go early in the count if they are not "hammerable."  

But I  say "a hit is a hit."   The  more hits the better.   Especially for a speed guy,  without dinger type power.  

He says doubles and triples are better than weak singles pushed over the second baseman's head. 

I say with his speed and base stealing ability, any  sane coach will want him to be a guy who gets on base with regularity.  IF he gets to first somehow, even on barely beat out singles, there's a decent chance he  ends up on second, anyway.    So go for it.  be more aggressive early. 

He says he's not afraid of 0-1 or 0-2.   He can still get his hits, including hits the other way, from down in the count.  He can also battle back to get the count in his favor. 

I say it's good not to live in fear of any count.  Absolutely.   In fairness to him, I concede that when he is  on one of his "can't miss the ball streaks"  he is  a very good 2-strike hitter.   He  is definitely is no stranger to long battles at the plate. 

Nonetheless.  I say, especially as the pitching gets better and better as you move up higher and higher,  when the pitcher has you 0-1 or 0-2,  he's got you right where he wants you.  He will get you out far more often than not.  So you don't want to get there with any regularity. 

So just think, I say, if you could learn to be as aggressive early on outside pitches in the zone as you are middle-in ....

By now, he's stopped listening or has changed the subject. 

How about those Giants, Dad? 

Last edited by SluggerDad