Skip to main content

Reply to "ACT & SAT PREP"

JCG posted:

Great scores don’t get you into college – low scores keep you out.

If you can hit the minimum thresholds required by your target schools, your scores will stop mattering and the rest of your application will get reviewed. If not, your application will never get looked at. Hitting the minimums is your only goal.

Interesting, and confirms our thought that our 2017 is done, as he's in the range of any school he can reasonably hope to get into.  He can use the money and time  he might spend on prep to work on essays, EC's, baseball tournaments, etc.

JCG - I agree with the "great scores" statement above for regular students in almost all cases.  However in the context of high academic athletic recruiting (which I think your son is considering) I think hitting the minimum board score should not be the goal.  There is much more to it than that.  Not only is your son's baseball skills being recruited but his board scores as well.  Better scores gives the coach and athletic program more flexibility with regard to other recruits, and that should not be underestimated.  If a coach or an Admissions committee has to choose between two equal candidates the difference can be the higher scoring recruit.

As always, JMO.