Skip to main content

Reply to "ACT/SAT"

LuckyCat posted:
RoadRunner posted:

Look at the schedules for the next 2 years for both SAT and ACT

No one said anything about having a specific baseball schedule for the next 2 years. However, most players know when they will not be playing or showcasing. I think the point is to plan ahead. There are some pretty special events in the fall, (which are not appropriate for every player). Certain events, for certain players, can actually be more beneficial than retaking the ACT/SAT on that particular weekend.

I agree, the conflict can be bigger than just one Saturday or weekend.  Junior year of high school is generally the most intense academically.  Finding a relatively slow period baseball-wise to properly study for an ACT or SAT test can be a challenge.  We decided it was not a good idea to pile prepping for and taking an admissions test on top of classes and high school baseball in the Spring.  So, my 2021 son started studying and took a prep course in early Fall and took the SAT twice between October and December.  We used an individual tutor between to two tests to focus on just the specific parts of the test he didn't do as well on.  Our hope is that he is now done with admissions testing and can focus on baseball and his classes for the rest of his junior year. 

ETA: Wechson, sounds like we had similar strategies, although I'm impressed you managed to get your son to focus on studying over the summer.  We talked about it, but in the end, he was playing pretty much every day and on the road a lot, so most of the studying started for real in August, after the travel season ended.

Yes, very similar and very happy that phase is in the rear view (he MAY take one section over, if he needs to, in September when the format shifts to allow for section-only testing).  As for summer studying, we managed to get a recent college grad to come once a week at a relatively inexpensive rate so were fortunate to create some structure and accountability.  He didn't go crazy, but it certainly was a consistent component of his summer schedule.  Either way, would encourage other parents to focus on this period.  Prior to that, I think it's tough for kids to do well unless they are really gifted students/test takers.  It's really meant for Juniors and above.  Much later and I think the Spring baseball schedule, plus finals/AP tests, SAT 2 test get to be too much.