Skip to main content

Adjusting the 2022 recruiting timeline

Ya'll need something to talk about something besides Corona.

Baseball is all about making the adjustment.  Well we just took a couple huge curveballs for strikes (Corona cancelling HS  & college season, NCAA & MLB increasing # of players through additional eligibility and smaller draft).  2021's gameplan is to attend anything that isn't cancelled, send video to any schools of interest (and probably some a level or two down) it's going to be a bloodbath (as stated in another post). Good luck to any 2021's out there, with or without verbals at this point- swing at anything close

What about the 2022's? Do they need to swing at everything as well? As the parent of a 2022 LHP who is fairly promising but not in that top 1%, I have a vested interest in helping my player, but am fine with the conversation being more general instead of specific to me/him. After countless hours on this site, reading articles and listening to podcasts, we had a gameplan. We were patient and didn't go running around showcasing before he had something to show. We had a, albeit large, list of schools (reach, realistic, reserve) to reach out to, a list of events and camps to attend, were on a known team with a coach that knew people, were scheduled for the June 6 SAT.  What adjustments do you make? The list needs to be adjusted down a tier (IMO).  Do you attend camps at colleges (commonly known as fundraisers)? Mine is HA, so we were deciding between Headfirst and Showball.  Thinking we will go with HF because of the video component, in case travel is limited.  Although there is a SB in my backyard in the fall, so maybe we'll do both-if our finances don't further tank in the next couple months.  

Previously, I had scoffed at the programs that take kids and do "college tours" to scrimmage in front of coaches.  Maybe that will be one of the first things to return and would be worth switching programs for?

Do you hold everything (save training) while the chaos subsides? Seems risky given the increased competition?

Right now I've pulled recruiting off the list of things my 2022 needs to think about.  He works out everyday (with what few weights we have but is doing a lot of bodyweight and running), is doing a Driveline 2 month velocity training, and hits everyday.  That, remote school and studying for SAT is enough IMO.  I would like to do my best to figure out the situation and then, when the time is right, let him know how his plans have changed.  It's just a lot of chaos for a 16yr old.  

Last edited by LousyLefty
Original Post