Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice"

Recently had some dialogue on this with another HSSBW member as both our kids fall into the "versatile" category.  It's a double edged sword if I've ever seen one.  Assuming you're hitting, it'll help get you onto the field somewhere which is obviously a great thing.  But it can mean you get shut out of a position/s because your peers are hitting but aren't as versatile as you are.

My son looks to be going through this right now.  Is taking reps at SS this fall along with 2 other guys.  According to my son, his defense at SS has been as good or better than the other 2 thus far.  But the 2 other guys are infielders only.  My son is a "INF/OF" and at this point, it looks like LF and CF are more likely than SS.  To be clear, my son has no issues whatsoever in playing where he's needed, but he is one of those kids who wants to play SS most.  And that's where he's played 90% of his life at in little league, high school and travel ball, so it's not simply that he WANTS it; he's very capable.  He's going the Juco route and our feelings are that playing SS would be a bigger plus to his recruiting push to a 4-year than say, LF.  Easier to get eyes on you at SS.  I'm sure it'll all work out fine, but sometimes being versatile feels like a recipe to play a spot simply because others aren't as versatile.