Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice ASAP with D1 offer"

PitchingFan posted:
Nonamedad posted:
stayfocused posted:

I say take the offer and be thankful you got it!  As a dad of a 2019, 6' 3", 180 lb, 88 mph RHP, good grades and ACT,  with tons of exposure (lots of PG tournaments, Jupiter, WWBA, etc.... over the past three years, with tremendous success at these tournaments), from the largest classification highschool in the state and a State championship under his belt,  and not a single offer from a D1-3, I would highly recommend considering this offer.....because mid 80s RHPs are a dime a dozen.  BTW.....we are extremely happy with the one D1 JUCO that  offered and are very grateful that he will have an opportunity to continue playing at the college level.  

We are living parallel lives..... son is a 2019 6'4 200 lb RHP, sitting 87-90 all summer, went to all the events, top travel team, no offers from D1s. Good grades and SAT. Hard part is looking on PG and seeing schools we talked to  signing kids whose FB velocities are lower than his by 3-4 mph. He does have 2 D1 juco offers, and may go with one of them. 

So I would try to convince my kid to take the offer.

Nonamedad, why is the question?  There has to be something if your son is throwing 93.  Is it consistency, control, or something else.  I would have a conversation with a coach or have your travel coach ask.  There has to be something that is keeping him from getting offers.  You don't throw that speed on good teams and not get offers.  It may be a simple fix or it may be something that cannot be fixed easily but there is something.  I know too many guys who are topping 88 RHP who have offers.

I never said 93.... 87-90 all summer.  I think being a late bloomer may have hurt him, last summer he was 82. Added strength and worked hard to get to 90. I’m waiting for the Jupiter numbers to hit to see where he ranks, has to be in the 80% range. And he is sitting 89-90, saw may kids that dropped off a cliff after 1 inn at 90-93 then sat 86-88.  Hard to say why there is no interest. Everyone says D1 ability.