Skip to main content

Reply to "advice for a mom of a basbeball player"

Welcome.

You may get a varied response here.Take it all in and filter what you don't need.No ones families are the same and players aren't either.

My son is currently playing college ball, and it is a grind.He loves it but it is a full time job with baseball and academics.

This is how we handled our son.He also told us he wanted to play college ball before entering HS.We sat him down and said if he was serious he had to maintain a 3.5 GPA, work on his baseball, and work on his body to become stronger and more athletic.We said if he did these things we would not ask him to work an outside job during the school year or during an intense summer program.

With that said, he did what we asked.My problem came in the nagging of the school end of it.He always wanted to do the baseball work.But if he didnt maintain the grades we did not pay for any private lessons, camps etc.

So for our son baseball motivated the academic side of it, and baseball still motivates him to keep his grades up now.He knows no grades, no play.That is the school policy so I haven't had to enforce it.

There were times, and there are times that they want to hang with their friends.There were times it was tough when he had baseball and social things came up that he had to give up due to his commitments to the teams.

When they play in college they dont have much social time at all during the season.The social time is with their team mates.

I agree that he does need to set aside his time to do the things he needs to do.When he does and he keeps to a good schedule he will find he has time to be with his friends and do free time stuff.

The thing the young guys don't get is there are kids out there who do work at it all the time.I know you didn't want to hear that, but there is always somebody outworking you.The desire to aspire to be a good player has to come from within.Yes you have to nudge, and remind.

But it shouldnt turn into a constant thing.It is summer right now, let him have some down time.Maybe he needs a few weeks off.Our son always took time off at end of summer, and then again in the month of December.Sometimes with a break from the grind you get refreshed.Kids do get burnt out.Gently remind him what he is working towards, give him some space and time away if needed.If he loves it he will be working at it again soon.

There were times when my son didn't want to play baseball and wanted to focus on basketball.LOL. He had times of wanting to just chill.It is normal.