Skip to main content

Reply to "advice for a mom of a basbeball player"

quote:
Although at 15 - I do not think he really can grasp the amount of work that it will take at a college level.

sitbackandenjoy - you ask a great question and forgive me in advance for intruding here. I have been a member here for many years and have seen opinions on both sides of this issue. Based on the experiences of my son, I believe the pushing ought to come from the player. It is their love of the game that drives them. I think the most important thing a parent can do is encourage them and see to it they have fun. I'll be honest that I was far from a perfect parent and used to yell at things when I thought he could do better. Looking back, that was entirely unnecessary. I fortunately was able to grow out of that with help from my son and he in fact helped me learn to chill out.

The question you ask here is whether or not you need to nudge them. I hope you get some responses that are opposite of my take because there are some very respected posters here who believe creative/loving nudging was the right track for their kids.

One thing to consider and I go back to your quote above is how do parents know exactly that their kids even need nudged at baseball? What is their expertise that allows them to arrive at that conclusion? Many parents never even played little league baseball let alone tournament baseball, high school baseball or beyond yet they seem to have some type of gifted intuition on how hard their kids ought to be working at it. If he is playing all summer long like most players his age are, that very well may be all the work he needs at this time. The whole key is that your son continues to love the game. If it turns into a job, you may get the opposite result you are hoping for.
Last edited by ClevelandDad