Skip to main content

Reply to "advice for a mom of a basbeball player"

Mom of another 15 year old here -- an only child, which may have something to do with it. We are quite blessed (OK start throwing things now... but read on to the end) -- 2013 practices, does schoolwork, pulls straight A's in honors classes and has an amazing dedication to goals and routine. Seriously, my husband and I wonder where these genes came from!

My concern is not getting him to work harder, but getting him to smell the roses a bit along the way. He is an outstanding player, very realistic about his weaknesses and dedicated to addressing them, passionate and respectful of the game. We have to make him take a little time off once in awhile, then he is antsy and bored within a week.

He kind of came out that way.... if there was one experience that I think ignited the passion in him it was the chance to be a college bat boy for three years from age 10 to 13. I saw immediate desire and application of what he was soaking up there to his conduct both on and off the field.

Now that he is older, we let him choose his way -- no pushing, just gentle suggestion to make sure he enjoys everything that HS (and too soon college) have to offer...