Skip to main content

Reply to "advice for a mom of a basbeball player"

quote:
Originally posted by twotex:
Update: playing in a coaches' clinic seemed to get him moving. He's working outside of practice fairly consistently, and has shown excellent improvement on his pop time. Only time will tell if this will be a sustained effort.

As for me, I'm working on being more supportive and less pushy. Only time will tell if I sustain this improvement. Good getting the advice. As the fall season progresses, I'll come back and reread this thread.

Hi Twotex I just stumbled on this thread -- I have a 15 year old also. Good advice here! Attending the coaches camp and going to a college level game is great motivation. The problem with finding a college game to attend, they usually conflict with his schedule in either HS or travel ball.

In addition to watching a college game, I tell parents to take their sophomores on a real campus tour and info session with admissions --this is BIG motivation on the academic side! If they hear from the college rep that those "easy Bs" won't cut it, they have time to step it up a notch.