Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice for Incoming College Freshman"

Wow! That’s one of the best posts ever made here. Results may vary based on the demands of your degree. But there is time for a social life. All the teammate and baseball stuff is dead on. 

I was standing outside a hotel one night when a university logo’ed bus pulled up. On the bus was a friend and former teammate of my daughter I hadn’t seen in a year. We chatted for a while. Then she was called. She smiled and said, “I may be leading the country in scoring. But I’m still a freshman. I have to go carry equipment.” Regardless of your success don’t big time upperclassmen. 

I faced reality and gave the following advice on girls/cleat chasers ... Be careful they’re not investing in their future by getting pregnant. You all enter D1 as pro prospects (leaving as a pro prospect is another discussion).   Girls can change their minds on “consensual” in the morning. Make sure you know who you’re with. 

A Yale basketball player was kicked out spring semester and not allowed to compete in the NCAA tournament because his girlfriend was mad in the morning. Yale pulled his academic scholarship and wouldn’t provide transcripts for transfer until he paid the bill. It took a few years to be settled in court. Yale wanted payment for the semester they didn’t let him finish. 

Don't put yourself in stupid places. Years later Reid Seligman says he feels “alleged Duke rapist” is attached to his name. All he did wrong was be drunk at a party with a lying stripper.