Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice For The HS Freshmen Who Wants To Later Play College Baseball"

Frances7, reading your last post it seems you are getting a good grasp as to what is needed and a plan of action.  Keep in mind that you are in for many sleepless nights trying to take the correct path for your son.  Do your research, homework, and ask many questions as you are doing.  If it is overwhelming to you imagine how your son may feel.  My son (13/14 at the time) & I looked into this top notch travel team program in our area.  He played in a few tournaments, practices, etc. and was one of their top players.  However, I sensed something was amiss. Turns out even though it was in his best interest to stay with this program, he didn't enjoy it, he missed his old travel team where they had less pressure, played for fun, and it wasn't all business.  We stuck with his old travel team in the end.  Did it hurt his chances of getting recruited to a P5?  Maybe....  At that stage college baseball scholarship was on a back burner, he would go to college for an education.  Point is, no matter what path you take it is because at that moment in time you and son decided that was for the best, even in hindsight it may not have been.  Your son may be the best high school player in the country but in 3-4 years things might change, with baseball not even being an option.  Enjoy these times, things will work out if meant to be.