Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice For The HS Freshmen Who Wants To Later Play College Baseball"

Our journey was a combination of several.  We had him on good teams that wanted him.  Played in 16U,17U, 14U  and 15U WWBA as a 14 year old guest player.  He was fortunate to pitch against some great teams.  In 17U as 14 year old he had the team that won it shutout for 6 innings and the coach pulled him for his stud and they lost 1-8.  Got on some radars.  Played in every WWBA he could from 14-17.  Only went to 2 college camps through entire journey and 1 PBR showcase.  Played in 2 PBR Futures games.

We set up a website under his name with all the information on webs.com.  It had all his info, school info, grades, video, stats, and schedules along with what he did in each HS game and tournaments.  Along with awards and accomplishments.  One stop place for college guys.  Many college guys told me that it was one of the few they visited because it had everything in one spot that was easy to see. 

We (I) sent emails each week during HS season and summer season about what he did the week before and what was coming up.  During summer we sent his pitching schedule and updates if something changed.  I know it worked because we got lots of feedback from college coaches when we made updates on his pitching schedule. 

Not a perfect journey for every player/family.  You have to figure out what works for your player according to money and level of play.  It helped us to have a LHP that teams wanted and then when they met him they found out he could hit so that was a bonus.  During 14 year, he was fortunate to pitch at LP every game and also batted and played the field for every team except the 17U because we were only there one day.  Figure out your child's level and goals.  My son's goal was to play in the SEC and he will get that chance next year.