Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice For The HS Freshmen Who Wants To Later Play College Baseball"

Francis7 posted:

Regarding emailing coaches, someone somewhere else once recommended setting up an account with a specific naming convention that would get attention and tell the story. Something including grad year. Any recommendations on that?

My son set up an email account specifically for recruiting - firstname.lastname2019@....com.  Every intro email he sent had some form of "NAME 2019 CATCHER - 6' 2" 190, POP = xx, EXIT VELO = xx.  Subsequent email subject lines kept "2019 CATCHER NAME" and mentioned upcoming tourneys (but dropped any specs).   Usually an updated video was included.  I find that all-caps in the subject line catches the eye in a sea of emails.

My son and I both had access to the email account.  He did the emails, I tracked them to make sure nothing fell through the cracks.  I also kept a tracking spreadsheet so we had a running log of all contacts and follow-up action items.  This way he always knew who to drop off the list and who was heating up and needed to be invited to the next event.