Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice For The HS Freshmen Who Wants To Later Play College Baseball"

We have a 2022 as well.  For us, we had decided that he would not do any travel ball until he was around 15.  He has done a lot of practicing & has picked up in a few local rec tournaments here & there, but nothing consistent.  We decided that this year we would do a few things to see how he stacks up & to start getting his name out there with the plan to start travel ball next year at the 15U level.  He will also start on our high school varsity team.  Here is what we have done & how it's worked for us, just to share experiences.  We also set him up an email to correspond if needed & started him a Twitter account that he only shares PG articles/videos about him etc.

-Entered him in the 14U PG regional showcase to qualify him for the National showcase. 

-Played in the 14U PG National.  He met the head coach of one of his dream schools on the plane & he came & watched him play (he's interested in this school because of the pitching coach)

-Tried out for our regions USA NTIS/ Selected for our regional team & competed in Cary, NC

-Selected for the 2019 Team USA NTDP

-Played in his first travel ball tournament the WWBA Freshman World

After the two showcases & Team USA he had lots of coaches following his twitter & lots of emails to attend camps, but no real contact.  After playing in the Freshman World, before we had even made it to the airport, our travel coach had sent us four coaches to call that were all P5 schools.  Three were on his radar (including dream school listed above)  & the fourth was an SEC school that he'd never considered, but is now interested in.  Out of the 4 schools two have asked him about his grades & it didn't come up yet with the other two.  Two of them asked what his parents did for a living (I'm sure to give an idea of financial aid).  They have all requested that he come to their camps in January.  One of the schools asked if he would be willing to be a 2-way player for them as that is what they would be wanting from him. (He's a pitcher & OF)  This kind of surprised me as I figured they'd convert him to pitcher only.  Three asked him to call them monthly & the other weekly. He was horrible on the first few calls, but has gotten much better at it.

So for us, playing travel ball was the factor that was most beneficial.  It could be that the coaches did not have a way to contact us previously, but we're grateful for the connections that the travel ball coach has.  I'm sure everyone has different experiences, but this is what we've experienced so far.  I'm just glad that we've found this site to help us navigate through the process.